Tech Media Planet Forums

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
specific settings for HPX170 and FCP
April 18, 2011
7:08 pm
celulloyd

Just got here
Members
Forum Posts: 2
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

As one other user wrote (as I was reading some other posts), I posted this on DVXUser.com and received no responses, so I'm hoping you can help.

I owned a DVX100B for a couple years and recently decided to enter the HD world, so I bought an HPX170. I also have been using FCP 4.5 in SD on OS 10.4.11. In order to utilize the HD, I bought FCP 2 (because I have a G5 PPC, no Intel) and am buying OS 10.5.x. I also bought a new 1TB internal drive on which to install both of them. I told you that to ask you this…

Are there any resources (books, websites, tutorials, etc.) where I can find specific settings for any given scenario? To be more specific (have I used that word too much?), I am making a movie that will be distributed on DVD (maybe Blu-Ray if I get ambitious). Beyond shooting in 24PN, is it possible to shoot in 1080 (Blu-Ray) or can I shoot in 720 and then up-rez, or do I even NEED to up-rez? So many questions, so little room… Wink

I don't want to waste anyone's time here with all my questions. I'd settle for a reputable book/books or website/websites to garner this info, but I'm not sure where to look. I've Googled what I'm looking for but to no avail, so I need to be pointed in the right direction.

I just reread what I wrote. Sorry for being so verbose. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lloyd

April 19, 2011
8:42 am
Suny
Los Angeles

Founding Guru
Forum Posts: 27

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Your questions are quite legitimate and are asked of me on a regular basis because I do not believe that there are any one stop shops for stuff like that. Panasonic's website mainly has stuff like Scene Files, (to give you different looks), and DVXUser has some useful info, but you have to dig around and hope that your particular issue has been addressed.

Here's my advice for your given situation:

When making a movie (intended for distribution) you have to think of your final market. Today, even if you are not going theatrical, you have to be thinking Blu-Ray. (if you have the resolution to make a Blu-Ray, you have the resolution to make a DVD, but not the opposite). So you need to be thinking 1920×1080.

While it may be tempting to shoot in 720p24pn (because of the extended record times to P2 Cards) you will most likely have to uprez your final film to 1920×1080. While this is not the end of the world, you will take a resolution hit. If you are fortunate enough to get a theatrical deal, you will notice this hit even more.

So what to do? Well, your instincts are correct in wanting to shoot at 24p, and shoot progressive instead of interlace, so my recommendation would be to shoot the camera in 1080 24PA.

Here's the deal. In 24PA, you will notice what looks like strange strobing, or motion artifacts, but this is JUST on your monitor. Don't sweat it. Because in FCP, you will select “remove advanced pulldown” in your Log and Transfer windows, and this motion artifacting will go away. And you will end up with a 1080p 24 timeline in FCP, that will not require any motion interpolation, or scaling.

You could set the camera to 1080 24p, (to avoid the strobing effect on set) but this would yield a slightly lower quality output on your timeline as FCP would have to rerender every 5th frame (not enough space/time for me to explain this concept here, just trust that this is true). 

So. If you can deal with a bit of motion strobing on set, I would consider setting my camera to 108024PA (even though you will not benefit from extended record times to P2), and set “remove advanced pulldown” in FCP Log and Transfer, and cut away at 1080p 24 (really 23.98).

If this was for the web instead, I would say 720p24PN would be more ideal. As it is progressive, and 720p is plenty of resolution for YouTube. But since you have Blu-Ray on your mind (and why not, you're making a feature!) stick as close to 1080p as you can!

Good luck!

Suny

April 20, 2011
8:10 pm
celulloyd

Just got here
Members
Forum Posts: 2

Suny,

I just wrote a long “thank you” for your advice, but by mistake I typed the wrong answer to the math question, so I'll just write this short but sincere “thank you” for your advice. I'll keep checking back to see if there's any other info I can learn or help anyone else.

Lloyd

Forum Timezone: UTC -7

Most Users Ever Online: 24

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

5K Bullfighter: 10

Joe Cortes: 6

Julie K.: 5

Bruce Billings: 4