Tech Media Planet Forums

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
HPX-170- 1080 24p footage- need to slow it down in Final Cut
September 6, 2010
5:56 pm
Julie K.

Just got here
Members
Forum Posts: 5
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I have footage that I shot 1080 24p.  I'm trying to slow it down in FCP, and I can't seem to make it look good.  Any suggestions?

September 6, 2010
6:14 pm
Suny
Los Angeles

Founding Guru
Forum Posts: 27

Hey Julie,

The HPX170 records to DVCPRO-HD. In 1080, the DVCPRO-HD spec ONLY records interlaced. So technically your footage is interlaced.

However, whenever you shoot 24p or 24pA, the 2-3 pulldown cadence is preserved and can be removed in FCP to get you to 1080p at 24p. (this is the “remove advance pull-down feature” for 24pA).

This is the first step to getting you into the progressive world.

FCP is not really well equipped to handle an elegant post slow-down solution but this doesn't mean that the Final Cut Studio package doesn't offer you the ability to get to a decent outcome. Anybody can go out and spend some cash on some fancy plug-ins like Twixtor, but I think Compressor will astound you.

I have seen Steve do wonders in Compressor, Steve wanna chime in?

Suny

September 6, 2010
6:59 pm
Stephen Beres

Founding Guru
Forum Posts: 14

Ya,

Suny's right I really love Compressor, it's the often under appreciated member of the FCS. What some of you may not know is that all of Shake's Optical Flow motion compensation was rolled into Compressor when they stooped making Shake. That means slow motion and re-timing in Compressor often looks as good as a third party plugin and it's included with the Final Cut Pro.

The only thing you really need to know is all the magic is in the “Frame Controles” tabe inside of the Compressor presets.

You can effect the quality of the frame blending and interpolating under the “Rate Conversation” pull down. Setting this to “Best (High quality motion compensation)” will yield the best results but will take a while to render.

If you are working with interlaced footage there is a motion compensation setting for deinterlacing as well. Again long render times are all but guaranteed when employing these settings but it's going to look great when your done.

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: 24

Currently Online:
2 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

5K Bullfighter: 10

Joe Cortes: 6

Julie K.: 5

Marcus G.: 4

Bruce Billings: 4